Thursday 30 August 2018

Photography Experiments.

One of the things I've been researching regarding promoting my artwork and selling online has been photography tips, as even the most amazing paintings and products will not sell if the photos are of poor quality. 
This great article is the first I read can be found on the Folksy page https://blog.folksy.com/2017/08/15/how-to-take-product-shots-on-your-phone
it inspired me to pop straight out to my studio and set up a photo shoot. 
These straightforward tips certainly helped a lot and to be honest I'm not sure why I didn't go down that route before. 

This farm animal themed jute bag is an example of a rather basic photograph using a plain white background, I feel it definitely helps show a clear view of the product with no distracting extras and is a valid photo to include in my shop although it isn't particularly eye catching. I am planning to take a few more slightly more imaginative shots that will hopefully bring it to life therefore helping potential customers visualise having the product in their life. 

When it came to taking photos of my greeting card designs with white backgrounds I realised that the white backdrop would not be a great way of enhancing these items, so I decided to give brown a go as the card and envelope stand out well against the darker paper. I chose a flat lay shot for this card and spent a bit of time searching my studio for props that would suit the design without distracting from the product( this lovely ink brush was a gift from Japan).

As well as taking snaps of my artwork I decided to use some of these tips to photograph some of my mum's vintage perfume bottles with the view to making some greetings cards with the images. Mum has hundreds of various bottles but I thought I'd share a photograph of this Hartnell "In Love" group as they're some of my favourites from her vast collection.

It was interesting to photograph something a bit different as it's all experience and will hopefully encourage me to think of new ideas for future products.

If you're interesting in seeing my other product photos please pop over to my Folksy shop... within the next week or two I'll be updating the items with extra images.

Well, I think I'm all blogged out for the day, so best crack on with some of my commissions!
Thank you. :D





No comments:

Post a Comment

Photography Experiments.

One of the things I've been researching regarding promoting my artwork and selling online has been photography tips, as even the most a...